[Snort-users] not detecting common intrusion

Cearns Angela acearns at ...131...
Wed Jun 26 17:55:02 EDT 2002

Thank you Erek:

I'm indeed pouring thru the doc at the snort website.
Erek, I'm a student at the University of Colorado
doing research on DDOS and various mitigation methods.
I'm currently building a testbed to simulate DDoS
attack and trying to find out a better way to respond
to the attack. One area of my research focus is rate
limiting. Can I ask you and the mailing list
participants for some personal advice?

Would it be useful to add a X processor to snort to do
a bandwidth consumption type of detection? Or is there
a much easier way to detect "bandwidth usage beyond a
certain threshold" that it's really not worth it to
add it to snort?

What about adding a rate limiting capability to snort
thru X processor as an "action" to the detection of
"bandwidth overuse"? Will this be a useful feature or
is it just easier for people to configrue rate
limiting through iptables?

Erek, I don't mean to bombard you with questions but
I've been pounding my head for weeks. Thank you so
much for your help.

With sincere gratitude,
Ang