[Snort-users] not detecting common intrusion

Cearns Angela acearns at ...131...
Wed Jun 26 16:19:04 EDT 2002

Thank you for the response to my snort-mysql
questions. Snort is now running, mysql is logging and
ACID seems to be displaying the alert.

However, I've a new problem. Please note I'm running
snort with all default rules.
- I tried the "ping -l 1600 hostname" command to send
out abnormally large icmp packets
- snort, mysql, ACID, everything seemed to work and
logged and displayed the abnomality, indicating "large
ICMP packets".

- Then I tried simple ping flood (ping -f)and sync
flood (synflood), yet snort doesn't detect anything?

How come? Thanks,
Ang