[Snort-users] List of IP Address

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Wed Jun 26 11:43:03 EDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 DThomaz at ...6151... wrote:

> I would like to edit my rules by adding new list of IPs.
> Example:
>
> var DMZ_NET xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> var WAN_NET xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
>  where do I add the lists? Is there a document to assist on rules changes?

Where?  Well...  On the docs pages of snort.org[0], there's quite a bit of
stuff.  The users manual covers all about writing rules and the order of the
config file.  The FAQ[1] has some other useful things in it.

It might sound strange but if you were to have a lot of changes/additions to
the snort.conf file--I would do it in something like a "my_addons.conf" file
and then including that.

  include /etc/snort/my_addons.conf

That way when you upgrade versions of snort, you can just include that file
with one line to 'recover' all of your local changes.  You could also put your
rules in there that you've written--But it's your choice.  Just be standard.
:)

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams