[Snort-users] False positives with SMTP RCPT TO overflow rule

Slighter, Tim tslighter at ...5174...
Tue Jun 25 12:10:08 EDT 2002

Adding to that, I am fairly certain that this rule pertains to Lotus Notes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Kettler [mailto:mkettler at ...4108...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Nels Lindquist; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] False positives with SMTP RCPT TO overflow
rule

This came up a week or so ago. My general recommendation is that unless you
run a vulnerable mailserver, kill this rule completely.

AFAIK this rule is easily bypassed by an attacker, and readily false-prone
due to SMTP command pipelining. IMHO this rule is so completely broken has
no place in a general-purpose deployment of snort.