[Snort-users] Stupid question, as in I ought to know the answer to this.

Phil Wood cpw at ...440...
Tue Jun 25 09:36:03 EDT 2002

Here is what I want to do:

  1. log alerts to binary file
  2. log "redalerts" to syslog
  3. DO NOT create an alert file (fast or full)

Here is what I did to get that to happen:

  1. put the following in my config file:

     output log_tcpdump: /some/full/path/to/binarylogfile

     ruletype redalert
     {
       type log  <<<--- notice not alert
       output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL5 LOG_DEBUG LOG_PERROR
     }

  2. start snort with the -A none option

This causes a WARNING:

WARNING: command line overrides rules file alert plugin!

However, I get the desired result, namely no alert file (fast or full format),
and syslogs for the few redalerts I want to know about instantly.

So, what could I do otherwise to get the desired result, and avoid the
WARNING?

Thanks,

Phil