[Snort-users] Snort Topology Configuration

Mon Jun 24 12:32:03 EDT 2002

If you span the "uplink" port between your switch and your WAN router's Ethernet interface, then you're in good shape.  Just ensure that your HOME_NET variable and command-line directives (-h) are in agreement with the network(s) that you wish to monitor.

-----Original Message-----
From: DThomaz at ...6151... [mailto:DThomaz at ...6151...]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 3:15 PM
To: Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort Topology Configuration

I have setup snort on my local LAN. The snort box is collecting only from
my LAN.
I want to sniff all packages that came from my WAN in to the LAN using
snort.
My question is that if I span the Ethernet port of my WAN router to the
sniffer port should collect all  WAN data coming in the LAN?
Here is my network:

     ethernetport<router>WAN--------------CLOUD

     switch CAT4k

     Snort box

Do I need any special configuration on the snort box to use the span
command from the switch?

Thanks for the support,

dthomaz