[Snort-users] Snort Interfaces problem (Win32)

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Mon Jun 24 08:39:10 EDT 2002

John,

It grabs the interfaces from the Registry, so your PPP interface will
still show up until you do a clean install.

-Michael
 mailto:michaels at ...155...

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of John Sage
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 8:06 AM
To: Paul J. Smith
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort Interfaces problem (Win32)

Window$ (as it is with so many things..) seems to be intent on calling
interfaces what it wants, and not being too helpful with letting *you*
know what it's calling them..

In a DOS box, try "windump -D" to see a list of all interfaces Window$
thinks it sees..

Refer to the different interfaces by number; tinker with the various
numbers presented on your snort command line, and use the one that
works.

On my Win98 box, Window$ sees two instances of my NIC, for some
unknown reason, and still tries to refer to a ppp interface that
hasn't existed for years..

My Window$ snort command line:

full_path_to_snort.exe -dvv -i 3

So I'm pointing snort at interface "3"

- John
--
"You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all different."

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:07:01PM +0100, Paul J. Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the latest version of Snort for Windows from the
snort.org
> site, but am unable to get it to recognize my interface.  Libpcap is
OK.
> Windump etc can see the interfaces OK.  I did some searching on the
web
> and found that it appears to be a known problem.  Something about
buffer
> sizes and the new libpcap needing to be re-compiled into the binary.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a newer version of the binary
with
> this mod that I could download?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul Smith