[Snort-users] Snort rules touble.

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Jun 21 10:09:04 EDT 2002

It would sound like you are trying to use rules which are for snort-current
(aka: development version) on a snort which is snort 1.8.6.

Either that or you are using a "rule management" tool (I forget the name..
hogwash was it?) that has a default behavior of uncommenting all the rules
before it runs. There's a command line switch to stop that.

Any rule with the word "flow" in it is not intended for snort 1.8.6 or
earlier, but 1.8.6's ruleset has a few with that keyword in it, which are
commented out in the files. Try re-extracting your rules files from the
snort 1.8.6 source tarball and not running them through any tools.