[Snort-users] Snort ---> syslog

Don Don at ...5881...
Fri Jun 21 08:37:03 EDT 2002

can you give me an example of what the ALERT would be as far as difference
btwn alerting to syslog, and alerting to anything else. i mean, as i
understand, the ALERT in and of itself, contains just what is btwn the
quotes on the alert line itself that states the message to be used, what
other alert message is there that any other logging mechanism would provide.
example,
using sql.rules one line is

alert tcp $SQL_SERVERS 139 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"MS-SQL/SMB sa login
failed"; content: "Login failed for user |27|sa|27|"; flags:A+; offset:83;
classtype:attempted-user; sid:680; rev:3;)

when there is a failed login, that triggers that specific rule the alert
sent to syslog server is

   snort[1152]: [1:688:3] MS-SQL sa login failed [Classification:
Unsuccessful User Privilege Gain] [Priority: 1]: {TCP} xx.xx.xx.xx:1433 ->
216.154.205.87:2405

 are you telling me by saying "You will get a lot more information from the
console manager you are using." that I will get some other message by using
any other logging method? if so, what other message would that be, and by
what method being used?

Don