[Snort-users] More WinPcap 2.3 and Win2k

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Tue Jun 18 16:33:02 EDT 2002

Chris,

He has the latest from us. It very well could be that he is running a
dual processor box and has not terminated the second processor in the
boot.ini file at all, or correctly. I can build another latest build of
Snort but I don't think that will help.

There has been a LOT of these types of issues in the last week or so.
Could it be that everyone is upgrading from older versions, or has there
been a massive infusion of Windows users into the Snort community.

Michael Steele | System Engineer / System Administrator
mailto:michaels at ...155...
http://www.silicondefense.com

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris Reid
Sent: June 18, 2002 12:04 PM
To: Madziarczyk, Jonathan
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] More WinPcap 2.3 and Win2k

The reason you're seeing nothing in the interface list is also a WinPcap
problem.  In previous versions of WinPcap there is a 1K buffer, which
overflows if you have many interfaces (ie. 10+).  This has been replaced
with an 8K buffer in more recent versions of WinPcap.  The current snort
distribution should already be linking against the newer WinPcap
libraries,
which should resolve this problem.  Try obtaining a more recent build of
snort.

Chris Reid