[Snort-users] PureSecure is crazy

François Jan fjan at ...143...
Tue Jun 18 14:55:02 EDT 2002

Thanks a lot for answering.

unfortunately, the answer doesn't seem to match my situation.
I just went through the links pointed out by Robin (thanks to him) but I
don't seem to match this situation either because I seem to be in the
situation of the solution 1.

I will try to be more explicit this time so that maybe details that
don't seem relevant to me will give a clue to somebody. I fire psd on
the sensor by just calling /usr/local/puresecure/sensor/bin/psd and my
conf is

My MySQL schema is 105. The server hosting the sensor and the database
is hanoi.

psd.conf:
sid = "1"
this_is_the_main_sensor = "yes"
db_user  = "puresecure"
db_password = "<PASSWORD>"
db_host  = "hanoi"
db_name  = "snort"
db_port  = "3306"
run_snort_locally = "yes"
snort_binary_path = "/usr/sbin/snort"
snort_interface = "ppp0"
snort_options = ""
auto_update_snort_rules = "yes"
base_path = "/usr/local/puresecure/sensor"

snortppp0.conf
var HOME_NET $ppp0_ADDRESS
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
output database: alert, mysql, user=puresecure dbname=snort
sensor_name=hanoi sid=1 password=<PASSWORD> host=hanoi

and here is my snort_output.log:
 Log directory = /usr/local/puresecure/sensor/log/

Initializing Network Interface ppp0

        --== Initializing Snort ==--
Rule application order changed to Pass->Alert->Log
Decoding raw data on interface ppp0
Parsing Rules file /usr/local/puresecure/sensor/conf/snortppp0.conf
Initializing Preprocessors!
Initializing Plug-ins!
Initializating Output Plugins!

Initializing rule chains...
No arguments to frag2 directive, setting defaults to:
    Fragment timeout: 60 seconds
    Fragment memory cap: 4194304 bytes
Stream4 config:
    Stateful inspection: ACTIVE
    Session statistics: INACTIVE
    Session timeout: 30 seconds
    Session memory cap: 8388608 bytes
    State alerts: INACTIVE
    Scan alerts: ACTIVE
    Log Flushed Streams: INACTIVE
Stream4_reassemble config:
    Server reassembly: INACTIVE
    Client reassembly: ACTIVE
    Reassembler alerts: ACTIVE
    Ports:
21 23 25 53 80 110 111 143 513
Using LOCAL time
database: compiled support for ( mysql )
database: configured to use mysql
database:          user = puresecure
database: database name = snort
database:   sensor name = hanoi
database: password is set
database:          host = hanoi
database:     sensor id = 13
database: schema version = 105
database: using the "alert" facility

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 1.8.6 (Build 105)
By Martin Roesch (roesch at ...1935..., www.snort.org)

and last psd.log:
Tue Jun 18 23:27:20 2002   Appears to be an invalid ruleset / snort.conf
Tue Jun 18 23:27:20 2002   Finishing iteration # 41 , that took 0
seconds.
Tue Jun 18 23:32:21 2002   Starting iteration # 42 (5 min 1 sec since
the last run)
Tue Jun 18 23:32:21 2002   Appears to be an invalid ruleset / snort.conf
Tue Jun 18 23:32:22 2002   Finishing iteration # 42 , that took 1
seconds.

Of course, I can give more information to anybody willing to help me.

François

Le mar 18/06/2002 à 16:17, Ian Macdonald a écrit :
> They introduced a couple extra arguments in the mysql output module to help
> solve this problem. In the snort.conf file make sure you have on the output
> line sensor_name=YOURSENSOR and sid=YOURSENSORID. My looks like
>
> output database: alert, mysql, user=snort dbname=snort
> sensor_name=SENSOR-NIC2 sid=1 password=SNORTPASSWORD host=localhost
>

> hope this helps
>
> Ian

François Jan <fjan at ...143...>