[Snort-users] error initializing the network interface on win2k

Don Don at ...5881...
Thu Jun 13 21:39:02 EDT 2002

i ran into this problem on a system that i had pgp installed on, the virtual
net adapter it installs doesnt get along with winpcap, I ended up installing
a bit older version, however this may not be your problem, unless you have
something similar to pgpNet taqking control of your nic. hmm, now how do i
check that winpcap version number??
hope that might give some insight at least/

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of cwhite
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 6:56 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] error initializing the network interface on win2k

i have installed the current win32 snort binary with winpcap 2.3 on
windows 2000 advanced server (dual cpu), and when i try to run snort i
get the following error:

Initializing Network Interface
ERROR: OpenPcap() device  open:
        Error opening adapter: l¦=w ¦=w    +
Fatal Error, Quitting..

from what i've found out the current version of winpcap doesn't work on
dual cpu system, so i tried installing both version 2 and 2.1 hoping it
would work, then end result is the same error as above

(if they had only listened to me and put db2 on linux they wouldn't have
needed a dual cpu system to run win2k with db2, but that's another
story... :-) )

does anyone know how i can get this running without disabling the 2nd cpu?

many thanks