[Snort-users] PostgreSQL Indexes

Hutchinson, Andrew Andrew.Hutchinson at ...3639...
Thu Jun 13 17:44:09 EDT 2002

Here's a sample:

CREATE INDEX idx_event_timestamp ON event(timestamp)

The basic syntax is:

CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX [indexname] ON tablename(columnname1[,...])

I've mainly used MySQL, but am cutting over to PostgreSQL so I can use
stored procedures and triggers.  In MySQL, I found that there is a
compound index on the events table, referencing event.sid,event.cid.  It
you use this index, be certain to query on both fields in that order to
take advantage of the index.  Otherwise queries looking for a specific
sid will be glacially slow - this was a problem that I noticed with the
early revs of SnortReport (they queried on sid only, not sid.cid).  If
you see this issue, you can either rewrite the queries to use the
compound index (preferable) or create another index on event.sid only
(less preferable, since you'll me unnecessarily re-indexing that field).

Hope this helps,

Andrew Hutchinson
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
NCS/Informatics/Network Security