[Snort-users] OT: IP Blocks by country/region?

Thu Jun 13 11:15:06 EDT 2002

I'm sure that there are any number of sites that provide these types of lists.  However, I would hardly recommend proactive blocking based on such a list, as IP address assignment is purely administrative.  IP address blocks are very commonly ported or redistributed to locations other than the location listed in the various registries.  Granted, porting country-to-country is less common than company-to-company, but it is still done.

Just my $.02...

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Sevy [mailto:tsevy at ...1701...]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:53 PM
To: Snort-Users eMail List (E-mail)
Subject: [Snort-users] OT: IP Blocks by country/region?

Does anyone know of a site that has listings (if such exist) that show what
ip address blocks belong to what country or region?

As you probably all see in your snort logs, there are a number of countries
that seem to be common sources of unwanted traffic.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, it would be appreciated.