[Snort-users] Syslog on W2K

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Wed Jun 12 16:10:02 EDT 2002

Steve,

That won't work. You are going to have to use a 3rd party Syslog Server
like Kiwi Syslog Daemon which will do everything you need, including
emailing alerts, but not freeware.

If you find anything else on the freeware side, could you let me know? I
have a list of people looking for a freeware utility for emailing alerts
on Windows.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/
-Michael
 mailto:michaels at ...155...

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Steven
Williams
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 8:57 PM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] Syslog on W2K

Hi,

I am using snort 1.8.6 on W2K.

I wish to log to the mysql database, but also log to a syslog server
using the commands below;

output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT host=X.X.X.X
output database: alert, mysql, user=username dbname=database
sensor_name=sensor1 password=password host=X.X.X.X

When I run snort, I get a warning message stating "Unrecognized syslog
facility/priority: host=X.X.X.X"

Has anyone successfully got snort to syslog to a remote syslog server?
If so, can you let me know how you did it?

Also, has anyone got anything like Swatch on a W32 machine to report
from Syslog Files?

Thanks

Steve

Steve Williams
Communications Support Engineer
Computershare Technology Services

PH +61 3 92355651
FAX +61 3 94732409
www.computershare.com

---
This email and any files transmitted with it are solely intended for the
use of the
addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. If you
receive this email in error, please advise us by return email
immediately. Please also
disregard the contents of the email, delete it and destroy any copies
immediately.
Computershare Limited and its subsidiaries do not accept liability for
the views
expressed in the email or for the consequences of any computer viruses
that may be
transmitted with this email

This email is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be
reproduced, adapted or
transmitted without the written consent of the copyright owner.