[Snort-users] Configuration HELP! (understanding alerts and proxies)

matt mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Jun 12 14:07:02 EDT 2002

This indicates that the machine xx.xx.xx.243 contacted (or attempted to at
least) a socks proxy server on the xx.xx.xx.77 machine.

THIS COULD BE NORMAL.

If your network is set up such that you use a proxy server for your
internet connection.. well.. then yes.. you've detected something normal.
This kind of connection is generally only of concern when someone outside
your network tries to connect to a proxy server inside it.

Correct your definition of HOME_NET to only include machines under your
control, and exclude those owned by your ISP to prevent such false alarms.
Or configure EXTERNAL_NET to be !$HOME_NET instead of any.