[Snort-users] Current Rule Set

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Jun 10 17:15:07 EDT 2002

I'd wager that you downloaded new rules, but used your old snort.conf with
the new .rules files, and it's complaining about SHELLCODE_PORTS.

The new rules tarball should have a snort.conf in it, with some new
variables in it needed for the shellcode rules. Copy the "var
SHELLCODE_PORTS" line from that conf file into your existing snort.conf and
you should be ok.

Remember, the snort.conf is included in the rules tarball for a good reason
and should not be overlooked :) (it isn't there as a decoration).

FAQ maintainer: suggestion, add the "I just downloaded a new ruleset and
snort complains that XXXX is undefined" to the FAQ. Something along the
lines of this:

Q: I just downloaded a new ruleset and now snort fails complaining about
the rules.

A:
         First, make sure you downloaded the right ruleset for your version
of snort. Snort.org generally hosts a ruleset for the released version of
snort, as well as rules for the development branch and sometimes copies for
older versions of snort. This is generaly the case for "unknown keyword in
rule" type errors.
         If you have the rules that are correct for your version of snort
be aware that the snort rules tarball contains a snort.conf file. From time
to time the snort.conf included with the rules gets changed as new .rules
files are added, and new variables are added to support a better ruleset.
When downloading new rulesets you should always give the included
snort.conf a quick look-over to see if new includes or vars have been
added, or at least be aware you should consult it if things do not work as
expected. This is generally the case if you get messages indicating that
something is undefined in a rule.