[Snort-users] [Snorting 2 NICs]

Gregory D Hough mr6re9 at ...6025...
Mon Jun 10 05:47:07 EDT 2002

Greetings Group,

I have Snort running into MySQL. I use ACID to view alerts. Snort works fine
when started as: snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -D but this
is my internal interface. When fired up for eth1 (IP address ppp0) I get this
in /var/log/messages:

WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth1 network lookup: ^Ieth1: no Ipv4 address
assigned
Initializing daemon mode
WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth1 network lookup: ^Ieth1: no Ipv4 address
assigned
PID stat checked out ok, PID set to /var/run
Writing PID file to "/var/run"
Snort initialization completed successfully, Snort running

Obviously Snort sees no traffic whatsoever. Is there anyway to initialize
Snort with two sensors, eth0 and ppp0?

This is on a tutorial HOME_NET, with a Linux gateway machine and two other
boxes inside, one Linux and one Win. I'd like to continue monitoring the
internal due to the Win box. I have mulled over the excellent documentation
for setting the whole thing up, thanks to everyone involved. I just haven't
found an answer to this type of setup yet.

Thanks for any clues,
farmer6re9

PS- Poll Contrib:

month/year of capture: 05/21/2002 to 06/10/2002

version of snort: snort-1.8.6

description of rules enabled  - default? all? custom (please give details):
default

sensor environment - what kind/size of organisation, location of sensor etc:
home network/3 boxen eth0 before hub on gateway machine

inside some kind of firewall (Y/N): Y iptables

bandwidth sniffed (ISDN, ADSL, 10, 100, gigabit etc): ADSL

duration of sniffing (days): 20

total number of alerts raised: 185

format of alerting - text/fast, text/full (this is the default), tcpdump,
database (what type?) etc: default, MySQL-3.23.43-1

payloads captured (Y/N): Y

total disk space taken by the alerts (including payloads if captured,
database indexes etc): 92.1 KB's