[Snort-users] Lots of "spp_stream4: TTL EVASION (reasemble) "

Cloppert, Michael Michael.Cloppert at ...5884...
Wed Jul 31 06:44:04 EDT 2002

What I've found helps is if I adjust the (undocumented) ttl_limit option in
the stream4 preprocessor.  I *believe* if you set it to 0, you won't get any
alerts of this nature.  From what I understand, this is the delta between a
"normal" ttl for a TCP conversation and a "skewed" ttl.  For example, my SYN
and SYN-ACK in a TCP handshake may have a ttl of 150 each.  The next ACK has
a ttl of 2.  The delta between these two packets is 148, therefore if my
ttl_limit is set to anything <= 148, this ACK will generate an evasion
alert.  Unfortunately, I've had to set this VERY high to minimize false
positives.  If anyone's had better luck with tweaking these parameters I'd
be interested to hear what's been done, because my ttl_limit of 175 is going
to miss some evasion attempts, without a doubt!  FYI, my stream4 line is:

preprocessor stream4: disable_evasion_alerts,ttl_limit 175

mike