[Snort-users] kernel dropping packets.

Moyer, Shawn SMoyer at ...5894...
Mon Jul 29 19:49:02 EDT 2002

I'll second Roelof's statement about snort -v.

In tuning for speed in general:

Log to unified binary, and do post processing of the captures with a
separate process. Barnyard is designed for exactly this purpose. Scope out
the documentation of output_log in snort.conf's comments. From what I see
below, you're at a minimum logging to a text logfile (not sure what other
log types are set up in snort.conf), which is pretty I/O-costly if you're
really wanting something approaching wirespeed.

Trim the rules. Use your own judgement based on what you want to see, but
off the top of my head, a lot of people don't need netbios.rules,
icmp.rules, icmp-info.rules, info.rules, porn.rules, and maybe not
web-coldfusion.rules, web-frontpage.rules, web-cgi.rules or web-iis.rules,
depending on their webserver.

If all the box is doing is other stuff beside IDS , you might also try
running Snort with nice --1 to make sure it gets bumped to a higher
priority.

There's also a lot of OS-specific tuning for OBSD you probably need to do,
like ripping it down to a minimal number of services (I get as picky as even
yanking out all but one or two gettys in /etc/ttys), and tuning the kernel
for performance.Try: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html for starters.

--shawn