[Snort-users] installation or configuration problem

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Sun Jul 28 08:02:01 EDT 2002

Chuck:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 09:48:39PM -0400, Chuck Seiders wrote:
> I'm just getting introduced to snort and ...
>
> I was trying to follow these instructions:
> http://www.securityhorizon.com/whitepapers/archives/snort.html
> I had to install several packages to get this far
> but it still fails...  :-(  ... what am I missing ?

Just a thought or two that may not be much real help:

this is a symptom of why "packages" (be they deb's or rpm's..) always
make me a little uneasy, and why I like the good 'ol:

tar -xzvf
./configure
make
make install

routine. With packages, you get someone's assumptions about where
everything is going to be, and what versions are necessary, and etc
etc etc...

And that goes backwards for the installation of other supporting
utilities on a given system.

> These seem to indicate problems:
> "make sets ${MAKE}... no"
> "makeinfo... missing"

Here's what I get on RHL 7.2:

[toot at ...2057... /]# find / -name makeinfo -print
/usr/bin/makeinfo

> "the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no"

I'm not surprised.

When you installed the system to begin with, did you install all
development-related packages?

Solution? I dunno.. some tinkering that I'm surprised you need to
fiddle with..

- John
--
Why, yes, I talk to birds. I speak fluent finch.