[Snort-users] paranoid portscan preprocessor setup

Jim Burwell jimb at ...6373...
Sat Jul 27 13:12:06 EDT 2002

Sounds to me like you want to catch any packet to ports that arn't
allowed by your security policy, since it's obvious that you can't
determin whether a single connection to a 'allowed' dip/dport can't be
classified as a scan or legit connection easily (although a connection
that immediatly hangs up, or doesn't follow up w/ the required
handshake, etc, could be classified as a scan or probe.  Not sure if
anything in Snort can look for this sort of thing.).  The portscan
processor only reports a scan when a number of connections exceed a
threashold.  One thing you may want to look into is Spade.  It looks for
'unusual' packets to uncommon destinations and reports them.  It may do
more of what you're looking for.

- Jim