[Snort-users] snort implement questions?

Moyer, Shawn SMoyer at ...5894...
Fri Jul 26 12:37:03 EDT 2002

1) If everything that you want to see is connected to the hub, then yes, you
can see everything that way, if running in promisc. mode. If you run snort
on the firewall, you would not need promisc to see everything if all you
want to monitor is what is passing through the firewall anyway.

2) There are a number of reasons why you might want to use a tap instead of
the span-port or mirror-port function on a switch. For one, the tap splits
the signal into inbound (rx) and outbound (tx) so you can monitor one or
both sides of a connection. Also, if (as is my case at work) your network
admins need the span port for other network diagnostics and the type of
switch you use can only have one mirror port per switch, you may need to use
a tap instead. For most people the taps aren't necessary though.

--shawn