[Snort-users] How to run snort with -g and -u flags

twig les twigles at ...131...
Tue Jul 23 10:14:05 EDT 2002

My understanding of Snort's ability to run as another
user is that it *drops* the privileges to that user.
This is significant in that you have to start out as
root for packet sniffing (tcpdump makes you do this
too).  So even though I run Snort and the rules update
crontab as user snort, I have to stop and start Snort
as root, which is no problem due to the clunky way our
infrastructure makes me update signatures....

So I guess the way I'll be automating this when I get
around to it is to have a seperate crontab under root
that bounces snort using the startup file about 5
minutes after the signature update runs.  Hope this
helps, sounds like you're 95% done.

=====