[Snort-users] Re:Snort-1.8.7 detection problems

chae chae at ...6316...
Mon Jul 22 20:19:03 EDT 2002

Hi Yah Chris,

Cobalt RaQ3 and yes same behavior.

What I did last night was completely remove all traces of snort 8.1.7.i386
from the server and started afresh again.

This time with 1.8.7 all I got was netmask errors <sigh> nothing has
changed in that respect since I got the server and it's never been changed
or modified in the snort.conf and in the snortd it was being called
correctly as INTERFACE=eth0.  Anyway tried again and this time I was
getting PCAP & MTU error - so after that I gave up after that.

What I then did was work my way up through the different versions of the
rpm's till I got to a version that wouldn't work, got as far as version
1.8.4 before retiring to bed...checked the logs this morning and version
1.8.4 is working as it should be - yahooo.

As there's no rpm for version 1.8.6 I can't try that out so I might do a
manual install from the tarball.

But to answer your question what I was seeing was with an old version 1.8.1
when the rulesets were updated all snort reported on was ICMP, Virus and
ICMP TTL's yet before it was working fine. So upgraded to 1.8.7 got that
going and it was reporting the same. Now I have 1.8.4 installed and it's
working fine with the latest rulesets.

Regards

Chae