[Snort-users] (no subject)

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Mon Jul 22 11:05:04 EDT 2002

Donald:

I'd do a "more /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd" to read the text of what that
script does.

All the stuff in /etc/rc.d/init.d are just scripts that start, stop,
and report status on various daemons and other such..

So "snortd" has to contain a command line that's pointing to the snort
executable, perhaps with command line switches.

Personally, if I were you, I'd be starting snort manually from the
command line, slowly adding to the command line as each part of it
worked properly.

Only after I had it working manually would I use
"etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd", and only *then* when I had edited snortd to
contain the exact same commands that I knew worked, manually.

HTH..

- John
--
"Obviously, we do not want to leave zombies around."

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 12:26:11PM -0500, doswald at ...6357... wrote:
> I am running snort on a Linux 7.3 server with MySQL, I am trying to start
> snort using the following command,
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd start
>
> All I get is a failed response and no other information
>
> is there a debug tool or log file that will pinpoint the problem ?
>
> thanks
>
> Dave Oswald
> Network Engineer
> (402) 926-5789