[Snort-users] Re: inside or outside

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Fri Jul 19 16:33:03 EDT 2002

On 19 Jul 2002, Frank Knobbe wrote:

> it depends how you want to use Snort. If you want to use it as an
> Intrusion Detection Systems, it should be placed inside the firewall to
> alert you for for anything weird that slipped through your firewall
> (such as... uhm... an intrusion :)

Oh, like those ever happen.  Those 'intrusions' are just made up to make us
forget about the Illuminati.  ;-)

Seriously, Seth...  :)  There are pros and cons to placing it (a sensor) in
either location.  You might want to have a look at this email thread I snipped
from another list that has some good statements about placement:

	http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/ids_placement.txt

Hope that helps.

-----
Erek Adams