[Snort-users] inside or outside

Fri Jul 19 06:03:03 EDT 2002

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#2.3

If you run Snort on the external interface, pcap will see the traffic regardless.  And if you only have one sensor at your disposal, the general recommendation is to place it outside of your firewall.

If you really want a full picture of the traffic that's moving through your network, however, you'll want one sensor in and one sensor out.

What I'm trying to spit out is that it's up to you.