[Snort-users] Snort install

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Thu Jul 18 15:01:04 EDT 2002

Nick,

If you do a Sonrt -W what do you get?

Grab a copy of Windump and run that and see if you can see packets
(http://windump.polito.it/install/default.htm).

Make sure you have the latest release of Snort
(http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/downloads.htm)

Remove all of WinPcap 2.3 and use the one from our site. Be sure to
reboot after removal. There should be no difference but I've had reports
of similar problems
(http://www.silicondefense.com/software/snort-win32/binaries/WinPcap_2_3
.exe)

If that all fails try removing WinPcap and going back a version to 2.2
of WinPcap (search goggle?)

Note: If you are running a dual processor, you  MUST disable one
processor.
-Michael

mailto:michaels at ...155...
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Nick
Benigno
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 1:02 PM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort install

something is wrong with my snort install, I get the error:

> Initializing Network Interface
> ERROR: OpenPcap() device open:
> Error opening adapter
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

 I have the latest version of winpcap installed.

if i change is to "snort -i 2" it gives me a no interface error, and the
"snort -i 1" gives me the error OpenPcap()..

I am really a newbie at this but maybe this might be a common error with
a quick solution. I am thinking that it is not liking the defaulted
interface but I do not know much about how to change it or even know
what the good interface is called..

Techspecs:
win2k server, snort 1.8.7, winpcap 2.3, 3com 10/100 etherlink XL
Thanks,
Nick