[Snort-users] NIDS

Thu Jul 18 14:39:02 EDT 2002

In a nutshell: You have to set your HOME_NET variable correctly, the interface must be in promiscuous mode (this is default unless you turn it off), and you must have the sensor placed correctly within your network topology.

As far as placing your sensor correctly is concerned, that's for you to know.  You know your network and your hardware, which are the relevant variables.  Find a point where you can see what you want to see, and configure what you need to configure (hardware, VLAN, etc.) to achieve the desired result.

Cheers

Keith