[Snort-users] Snort install

Nick Benigno nick at ...6334...
Thu Jul 18 12:04:03 EDT 2002

something is wrong with my snort install, I get the error:

> Initializing Network Interface
> ERROR: OpenPcap() device open:
> Error opening adapter
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

 I have the latest version of winpcap installed.

if i change is to "snort -i 2" it gives me a no interface error, and the
"snort -i 1" gives me the error OpenPcap()..

I am really a newbie at this but maybe this might be a common error with a
quick solution. I am thinking that it is not liking the defaulted interface
but I do not know much about how to change it or even know what the good
interface is called..

Techspecs:
win2k server, snort 1.8.7, winpcap 2.3, 3com 10/100 etherlink XL

Thanks,

Nick