OT: Re: Out of Office AutoReply: [Snort-users] Signature Database is Gone

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Jul 18 09:02:01 EDT 2002

Claude, I'll re-itterate my request that you configure your vacation rules
to not auto-reply to mailing list postings and only respond to email
directly addressed to you. Responding to mailing list posts is generally
considered to be quite rude, and I'd rather not have to start refusing your
mail at the SMTP layer.

I'm CCing the list because the snort users list is by far the worst list I
subscribe to as far as vacation-rule autoresponders. Get a clue people,
autorespond to emails addressed to you, and ignore anything addressed to
anyone else that gets delivered to you. This prevents all kinds of
annoyances like responding to emails addressed to your mailing lists,
prevents some of the easier cases of mail-looping, doesn't auto-reply to
most spam so you don't get a pile of undeliverables, and is not a
complicated thing to do.

I really enjoy helping people out, but it annoys me when half the postings
I make to the list get some braindead vacation rule responding to it.