[Snort-users] Snort dropping packets?!?!?!?!?!

Roelof JT Jonkman roel at ...47...
Wed Jul 17 17:32:02 EDT 2002

James,

I recently stumbled accross some really weird behaviour with a machine dropping
packets, once a little load was put on the machine. (Pentium 120's running
a VPN.) What ultimately fixed it was replacing the network cards with
other network cards. (The original cards were 3com 3c590's, and the replacements
were netgear fa311's.)

There is also weirdness with some chipsets that just refuse to do promiscuous
mode correctly. Usually you have to look at the driver code to deduce of
the comments if a chipset actually works worth a dime or not.

The best 10/100 chipset I've used is the DEC/Intel Tulip chipset, it's
old, but works well anything from a 21141 to a 21143 is decent.

YMMV but:

http://www.milestek.com/10-100MbpsAdapter.htm

This one is based on the 21143. It's made by Danpex, a rather large network
OEM manufacturer, I'm sure you can get em elsewhere, but milestek ships
quick, and they're not overly expensive. ($35/piece)

		roel