[Snort-users] ICMP Ping NMAP

larosa, vjay larosa_vjay at ...3331...
Wed Jul 17 11:02:05 EDT 2002

It still strikes me as odd becuase the TTL values are all starting and 7 and
working there
way down. I stop seeing them after the TTL gets to 3. When I figure it out I
will send an
update.

vjl

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Roesch [mailto:roesch at ...1935...]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 1:26 PM
To: larosa, vjay; 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] ICMP Ping NMAP

I think a lot of instant messengers use it as a heartbeat mechanism, just a
theory but I've been seeing a lot of it lately as well in deployments at
corporate sites.  The rule is really just looking for an ICMP PING with a
0-byte payload, the msg field for that rule should probably be updated.

     -Marty