[Snort-users] any support / plug-in / integration plan for HID

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Jul 12 09:04:03 EDT 2002

Agreed wholeheartedly. Although the two are related conceptually, ie: both
are used for security, the practical relationship in terms of integrating
the code or functionality is non-existent.

I guess I'm also a bit biased in that I too agree with the tenets of UNIX.
I've seen way too many Microsoftish "do everything, and do them badly"
applications (ie: HTML editing in Word?) to take any pleasure at all in
these "swiss army knife" applications. If two tools are completely
different, putting them on a common handle doesn't do you any good, other
than making the tools easier to keep together, and harder to use. I'd much
rather eat with a knife and fork than a swiss army knife that has a knife
blade and a fork blade.

So no, snort should never include HIDS, firewall, email generation, GUI
graph generation, SMTP proxy-thru email virus scanning, HTTP proxies, nmap
or nessus type network scanning or anything else that doesn't belong as
part of a NIDS. The community is much better served by the snort devel team
focusing on making snort the best NIDS there is, and leaving tasks that
don't directly benefit from integration with snort as separate tools.
Integration of unrelated tools with a common interface is best left to
"control center" type applications.