[Snort-users] Attention: Win32 Users - Snort 1.8.7 "STABLE RELEASE" Binaries Available

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Tue Jul 9 10:19:05 EDT 2002

To all Windows users of Snort:

Sorry for the confusion as I released Snort 1.87b127 the same day as
Snort 1.8.7b128 was being released as the OFFICIAL "Snort 1.8.7 STABLE
RELEASE".

Please read all the notices below.

The latest 1.8.7 STABLE binaries have been compiled and are now
available on our site. There are now 6 flavors available:

Snort-1.8.7-Win32_Barebones_Release
Snort-1.8.7-Win32_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7-Win32_MySQL_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7-Win32_MySQL_MSSQL_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7-Win32_MySQL_MSSQL_Release
Snort-1.8.7-Win32_MySQL_Release

NOTICE: There are now NEW options in stream4 and frag2 and to update
your config files accordingly. This is the OFFICIAL Stable Release of
Snort 1.8.7, so it would be wise to update your complete Snort install
and copy back your custom settings to the new Snort.conf and any other
files you may have customized.

NOTICE: The "Run as Service" has been compiled into this update, and is
ONLY available for the following Windows environments:

1. 2000 Professional / 2000 Server Family
2. XP Pro / XP .NET Server Family
3. NT Server 4 (latest service pack).

The basic usage is as follows:

Note: COMPLETELY remove any previous installation of Snort running as a
service, even Registry settings, then reboot. If you have any concerns
or questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

There are three command switches that Snort uses for the Service
activation.

/SERVICE /INSTALL
/SERVICE /UNINSTALL
/SERVICE /SHOW

Explanation of Service options:

CAUTION: All the switches MUST be used from the folder that Snort is
located in. If Snort is located in C:\Snort then navigate to that folder
and type the command from there.

This will install Snort as a service with the specified parameters:
"snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -de -c <FULL PATH>\snort.conf -l <FULL
PATH>\logs"

This will remove snort as a service:
"snort /SERVICE /UNINSTALL"

This will display the parameters: