[Snort-users] snort performance vs traffic

Gray . Brendan bgray2 at ...3738...
Tue Jul 9 07:35:04 EDT 2002

I got a Pentium 166, 48 megs RAM, ISA NIC card, RedHat 7.2, running Snort
1.8.6 (RPM), Snortsnarf, with Apache and get zero dropped packets logging to
an alert file.  I'm watching a T-1, which connects a small office of approx
80 machines to the internet, which is typically at 10% usage.

Brendan
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Prendergast [mailto:tprendergast at ...5899...]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 10:28 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] snort performance vs traffic

All,

Curious to see what you are running in comparison to my config, because my
snort is running out of memory and dying every day during the busy hours...

We're pushing like 4 T-1's worth of traffic coming in from the net, not to
mention the traffic from our internal machines across the 100mb switch I am
snorting... It's on a box with a 500mhz PIII and 256mb of memory. Am I way
under-arming this machine for this task?

Regards,
Tim Prendergast
Manager, Web Administration
ReserveAmerica, Inc