[Snort-users] More snort problems

Terry Dunlap terry.dunlap at ...6268...
Tue Jul 9 07:16:23 EDT 2002

I'm not clear on whether you installed snort from the packages or the
ports. I'm running FreeBSD 4.6 on an old Compaq DeskPro. I installed
snort from the ports collection: /usr/ports/security/snort. So far, it's
running like a champ!

However, before doing this, I updated the ports collection so it
contained the most recent version of snort. The packages version (if it
exists for snort, I don't know) may be a little dated compared to the
ports version.

In addition, the ports version will install all the necessary
dependancies for snort automatically.

My solution:

1. If snort was installed via packages, deinstall it.
2. Upgrade your ports collection
3. cd /usr/ports/security/snort
4. make install clean

Here's what I type to run snort:

snort -A fast -c /usr/local/etc/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort -D

You need to specify the full path to the snort.conf file unless you are
already in /usr/local/etc directory OR your /usr/local/etc is in your
path (check by typing: echo $PATH). I checked my path and found that it
is NOT a default path under FreeBSD. So, either specify it in the
command line like I did, or add it to your path variable.

Hope this helps!

--
Terry Dunlap, MCSE
Network Security