[Snort-users] More snort problems

Ashley Thomas athomas at ...5484...
Mon Jul 8 21:59:03 EDT 2002

Are you starting off by downloading a snort-1.8.*.tar.gz ?

  -----Original Message-----
  From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of red z
  Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:01 AM
  To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
  Subject: [Snort-users] More snort problems

  Yes, I'm an idiot I know what you're thinking.. Ok, in a nutshell I cant
do ANYTHING with snort except snort -v   . I want to be able to use the NIDS
damnit!!

  Im running freebsd 4.6. I installed snort by /stand/sysinstall then
packages, security, then snort.

  Maybe it's because my IQ is below a dozen I dont know, but I cant get NIDS
running for the life of me.    freebsd installed snort in
/usr/local/bin/snort

  So far my problems are:

  1. I cant find snort.conf (or any snort file for that matter)

  2. Permissions?

  I made a directory called snort in /var/log to see if it would fix it and
then I did the command snort  -h 172.16.0.1/10 -c snort.conf -l/snort/ -dev

  still an error message!

  If someone has the time/patience and kindness to email me step by step
idiot proof directions I would be forever in your debt. I am totally lost

  Lost man