[Snort-users] More snort problems

red z red300zcar at ...131...
Mon Jul 8 21:02:02 EDT 2002

Yes, I'm an idiot I know what you're thinking.. Ok, in a nutshell I cant do ANYTHING with snort except snort -v   . I want to be able to use the NIDS damnit!!

Im running freebsd 4.6. I installed snort by /stand/sysinstall then packages, security, then snort.

Maybe it's because my IQ is below a dozen I dont know, but I cant get NIDS running for the life of me.    freebsd installed snort in /usr/local/bin/snort

So far my problems are:

1. I cant find snort.conf (or any snort file for that matter)

2. Permissions?

I made a directory called snort in /var/log to see if it would fix it and then I did the command snort  -h 172.16.0.1/10 -c snort.conf -l/snort/ -dev

still an error message!

If someone has the time/patience and kindness to email me step by step idiot proof directions I would be forever in your debt. I am totally lost

Lost man