[Snort-users] Attention: Win32 Users - Snort 1.8.7b127 Binaries Available

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Mon Jul 8 13:47:04 EDT 2002

To all Windows users of Snort:

Please read all the notices below.

The latest 1.8.7b127 binaries have been compiled and are now available
on our site. There are now 6 flavors available:

Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_Barebones_Release
Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_MySQL_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_MySQL_MSSQL_Flexresp_Release
Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_MySQL_MSSQL_Release
Snort-1.8.7b127-Win32_MySQL_Release

NOTICE: The "Run As Service" has been compiled into this update. This
option is ONLY available for the following Windows environments:

1. 2000 Professional / 2000 Server Family
2. XP Pro / XP .NET Server Family
3. NT Server 4 (latest service pack).

The basic usage is as follows:

Note: COMPLETELY remove any previous installation of Snort running as a
service, even Registry settings, then reboot. If you have any concerns
or questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

There are three command switches that Snort uses for the Service
activation.

/SERVICE /INSTALL
/SERVICE /UNINSTALL
/SERVICE /SHOW

Explanation of Service options:

CAUTION: All the switches MUST be used from the folder that Snort is
located in. If Snort is located in C:\Snort then navigate to that folder
and type the command from there.

This will install Snort as a service with the specified parameters:
"snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -de -c <FULL PATH>\snort.conf -l <FULL
PATH>\logs"

This will remove snort as a service:
"snort /SERVICE /UNINSTALL"

This will display the parameters: