[Snort-users] log files?

J. Craig Woods drjung at ...5405...
Mon Jul 8 06:05:07 EDT 2002

red z wrote:

> Ok,  thanks for the help guys. I tried to run snort in NIDS mode by
> doing this:
>
> snort -dev -l log -h 172.16.0.1/10 -c snort.conf
>
> But I got the following error:
>
> "error. can not get write access to logging directory "log." Directory
> does not exist or permissions are set incorrectly or it is not a
> directory at all."
>
> Well, /usr/local/bin/snort    is where snort installed on my bsd box.
> The FAQs said it is supposed to be in /var/log by default. I assume
> this is because I'm on bsd?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Ryan

Ryan, "/usr/local/bin/snort" is the binary (executable) file for snort.
It starts and stops snort according to what you have done in the config
file, "/etc/snort/snort.conf" file. You should find the directory where
snort is going to write output to. This should be "/var/log/snort"
directory. Make sure snort has permission to write to this directory.

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration