[Snort-users] Generating alert when reading tcpdump file

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Thu Jul 4 14:38:03 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:52:54PM -0400, xun wang wrote:
> Yes, I believe I configured the snort.conf file correctly. All the rules
> downloaded from snort.org are included in the snort.conf file and HOME_NET
> was set. I used the command line switch -h speicfying the home_net as well.
>
> Where did I do wrong?

Personally, this is yet another lesson in why it's likely to be a
waste of time trying to diagnose problems for people who do not post,
from the very beginning:

1) OS

2) snort version

3) full text of the command line used to invoke snort

4) full text of snort.conf

Without these, it's like you've gone into an auto dealership and said
"My car is making a funny noise."

What I've been trying to do is to infer what you're doing, from
generalities like "..I believe I configured the snort.conf
correctly..."

What does that mean? Did you, or didn't you?

When you offer only that vague sort of information, no one has any
real solid inforation to work from...

- John
--
"You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all different."