[Snort-users] Generating alert when reading tcpdump file

xun wang xuntwang at ...125...
Thu Jul 4 06:31:08 EDT 2002

Thanks for your prompt response.
Actually I realized that I should specify the rules for snort to be able to
trigger alert. But when I tried the "-c /path/snort.conf", I won't get
anything except an empty alert file. When I removed this switch from my
command, at least I could get lots of directory named with source IP
addresses in the /var/log/snort directory.

I didn't specify to write the alert to syslog, but I check the syslog as
well and didn't find any alert.

What is your thought?