[Snort-users] instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

Nick Zitzmann nickzman at ...3027...
Tue Jul 2 22:08:06 EDT 2002

On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 01:57  PM, Steve McGhee wrote:

> is there a tool/method out there that will retrieve the *latest* snort
> signatures automatically? for those of us not running snort via CVS, id
> like a way to do something like cvsup, but _only_ update my ruleset
> every night or whatever.

HenWen (see my page) will do something like this, and it'll
install them as well, but it is Mac OS X only right now. I'm
right now analyzing the possibility of bringing it to other
platforms.

You could try this, assuming you have Curl installed and your
rules directory is called "rules":

cd (one step back from your rules directory)
curl -O http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -xzf ./snortrules.tar.gz

...then restart Snort.

Nick Zitzmann