[Snort-users] Re: instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

Steve Francis sfrancis at ...6228...
Tue Jul 2 14:58:39 EDT 2002

I have this called from cron:
#Update rules
cd /tmp
rm -rf rules
/usr/local/bin/wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -xzf snortrules.tar.gz
rm snortrules.tar*
mv /tmp/rules/*.rules /usr/local/share/snort

# Restart snort (doing it with stop/start restarts the snort-NNNN at ...6229...
# file).
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort.sh stop >/dev/null
        if [ -d $ARCHIVE ]; then
                cd $SNORTLOG
                mv *-snort.log $ARCHIVE
        fi
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort.sh start >/dev/null