[Snort-users] Viewing detail logs causes secondary false posi tive.

Slighter, Tim tslighter at ...5174...
Tue Jul 2 10:40:19 EDT 2002

Perhaps you define a var for the web host and a var for the connecting hosts
and setup a pass rule for those type of sessions ??

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham, Randy (RAW) [mailto:RAW at ...4721...]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 10:38 AM
To: R. Anthony Kolstee; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Viewing detail logs causes secondary false
posi tive.

I don't know how others handle this, but I can tell you what I use where I
work.  My Snort central database and ACID console are on one machine which
is only accessible via SSH.  On that machine, I run Apache listening only on
localhost (127.0.0.1).  To view the ACID console, authorized users must 'ssh
-X username at ...6225...' and run konqueror on the ACID host.  This transports
the entire web session over an encrypted SSH tunnel.  Works great, no one
can get to my ACID data unless they break in through SSH (which I've updated
to avoid the latest OpenSSH vulnerabilty), and I don't have to do anything
for my users beyond loading cygwin and creating an account on the machine
hosting ACID.

RagManX