[Snort-users] Stream4

Phil Wood cpw at ...440...
Mon Jan 28 21:00:05 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:36:18PM -0600, Matt Jonkman wrote:
> I appreciate getting the info straight from the horse's mouth. Or keyboard
> as it were....
>
> The portscan preprocessor does a great job as far as I can see with the
> regular portscan, and even a medium slow scan. It of course won't grab the
> slowest and multiple source scans, but what it is intended for it does well.
>
> The big issue there is the output to the database. We're building a pretty
> large scale installation on an oracle db and really want to keep the number
> of unique signatures to a manageable number. Each portscan entry from the
> portscan preprocessor creates a new unique event.
>
> I think our best bet for time's sake will be to see what we can do with
> altering the output of that preprocessor to conform to the norm. If any of
> the original developers of the portscan preprocessor are listening in any
> advice would be greatly appreciated. On the same note, has anyone already
> met and solved this issue?
My solution was heavy handed.  I edited spp_portscan.c and commented
out where it builds the alerts.  The only thing I create is a file
full of the scan log entries.  After some time period the scan file
is run through some simple script to summarize the activities.  The
clutter on ACID was just to much.

> Thanks
>
> Matt

Phil Wood, cpw at ...440...