[Snort-users] Output plugins -differences between logging methods?

Saad Kadhi bsdguy at ...4401...
Fri Jan 25 15:26:02 EST 2002

[PLEASE DROP THE HTML EMAIL. THIS IS NOT NETIQUETTE-COMPLIANT]

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 17:39, Rockoff, Dan wrote:
> I have successfully set up snort logging to a MySql database, and it has
> been running fine for over a month now with no problems.
>
> I am curious however what the differences are between the "output database:
> log, and output database: alert" functions.
>
> If I have both enabled, it looks like I get duplicate data for most hits
> with the exception of portscans.
>
> Should I just use alert, or am I losing something by not using the "log"
> facility?
Taken from
http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5:
Furthermore, there is a logging method and database type that must be
defined. There are two logging types available, log and alert. Setting
the type to log attaches the database logging functionality to the log
facility within the program. If you set the type to log, the plugin will
be called on the log output chain. Setting the type to alert attaches
the plugin to the alert output chain within the program.

Please see the documentation & FAQ on http://www.snort.org. They are
pretty well written & you should find answers to a lot of questions that
you may have before posting to this list. A good idea will be also to
search the archives at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com

HTH
--