[Snort-users] how snort and ip forwarding fit together

Dharmin Parikh dharminparikh at ...125...
Fri Jan 25 10:41:02 EST 2002

I am using snort on lrp oxygen & Mandrake(set up as router too).
Snort is sniffing on eth1 & I am flooding traffic from a test system
into eth0. I believe that snort picks up the ip packets from the
memory after the ip forwarding function in the kernel puts them
in the memory( eth1 outbound queue).

Does snort work in a polling fashion or the kernel signals the
snort process each time it puts the packet in the memory ?

Or I've got it totally wrong !!:)

any suggestions !

-Dharmin.